[Stoves] Baffle stove for serial TLUD operation Re: Dushanbe Stove

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 5 09:31:23 CST 2015

Frank and all,

Separate from the coal topic of Dushambe, so I changed the Subject line.

About a Baffle stove:  On 12/4/2015 12:42 PM, Frank Shields wrote: [with
my additions in  [... ] brackets]
> One idea [to attain a longer burn time] might be to add a night time
> insert. That would [from the side] look like a _IIIIIIII_
> with baffles that go almost to the base. The base has fuel [coal is
> being discussed, but could be other fuel types] spread across the
> bottom.  You lite [at the bottom] the one close to the door and that
> burns up quickly but it takes longer to ignite the second baffle and
> even longer for the third and so on……
Frank, I like the idea of baffles of some type.   Probably done in some
ways somewhere maybe long ago, but baffles are certainly not evident in
currently discussed stoves and therefore your idea is a new innovation
for us 21st Century stovers.

I want to add a further variation for consideration.   It is based on
TLUD principles.

Consider a rectangular fuel chamber with several vertical baffles
running across between the long side walls  (3 or 4 are sufficient for
the concept, but could be more.)   First thought was to have square
vertical boxes that are in a row, basically with one side shared by two
squares.  (cylinders with obvious spaces is a variation to discuss
later).   Call them B1, B2, etc for Box 1, Box 2......

Ignite B1 at the top and let the MPF (Migratory Pyrolytic Front) do its
job downward through that fuel, with burning of the created gases at the
combustor level.   When the MPF reaches near the bottom, it encounters a
hole on one side.  That hole is attached to a vertical pipe that is able
to receive some (maybe 20%??) of the pyrolytic gases.  (the percentage
could increase if the side hole is actually a vertical slit / hole that
receives more gases as more of the slit is in the zone of the MPF.)

The gases in the vertical pipe (call it an "ignition pipe") reach the
top and are ignited by the existing flame in the combustor. But those
combusting gases are able to move upward into the combustor area of the
adjoining box B2.   In that way flame is into the area of B2, and within
a few minutes of time B2 has become Top Lit and begins to operate as a
TLUD.   The process continues with B1 essentially shutting down (very
little draft) and several ways of extinguishing the created charcoal by
an operator or even "automatically".

B2 ends and transitions to B3 in the same way.   If the burn-time of
each Box is approximately one hour (easy to accomplish with height and
with reasonable fuel like pellets), 8 boxes would operate the heater
through the night.

Quite literally, the boxes could be in a snake form or in a "6-pack" or
12 pack or spiral arrangement and continue for 12 hours or even
longer.   If the boxes were of different cross-sectional areas
(different diameters), there could be different intensities of heat at
different times.  That is, the five boxes B4 through B8 could have
smaller X-section areas and give less heat in the hours from midnight to
5 AM, when B9 could have a larger fire.

BTW, that B9 fire could be under a pot with bath water to be heated and
ready at 6 AM when needed.

What is described above is a system for CONTINUAL TLUD operation, as in
a serial continual sequence.

This system should work also for larger (such as barrel-size) TLUDs for
making biochar AND with heat generation through a long cold night inside
a greenhouse.

Of course it can be improved.   And it can have electronic monitoring
and the use of fans and blowers that can make the TLUDs respond in many
ways.   Such a system can have bells and whistles (figuratively and
literally) such as alarms if temperatures go beyond user-specified highs
and lows, or digital CO sensors with alarms about the ambient air inside
a greenhouse.

Should it be cylinders instead of square boxes?   One advantage of the
cylinders is that the vertical ignition pipe can be placed in the
natural area where the edges of cylinders are not touching 00000.   But
shared walls cost less in materials, and the heat through the walls help
pre-warm (and pre-dry) the fuel in the next box to be ignited.   But too
much heat could cause premature ignition.  These are considerations for
experimentation.

So, as of 9:30 AM CST on Saturday 5 December 2015, with the presentation
of this message to the publicly accessed Stoves and Biochar listservs,
the above ideas are made public.   I believe that I and Frank have some
intellectual property (IP) rights for one year after public
disclosure.   So if you want to try for patents, etc, you should include
Frank and me.   But instead, if your work is in the public domain,
please feel free to get started.   We want you to be successful.   But
we do want to be kept informed of activities and to encourage
collaborative efforts.

To move this concept / idea forward, we need some time and funding.   We
hope that it is YOUR time and YOUR funds, or that you help us find
outside funds that can pay for the time and materials.   Frank and I are
both retired.   And we do not have the metalwork shops that should be
involved with this work.   So we encourage your participation, and
please keep us informed of your initial interest (which means tell us
SOON), your initial activities, progress, results, and plans for taking
it further. Our email addresses are:    Paul Anderson
<psanders at ilstu.edu>   and   Frank Shields <franke at cruzio.com>

We look forward to the discussion and to any activities.   This might
all blow over and become nothing.   Or it might be a major step forward.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com