[Stoves] Combustion test of Kaliandra Pellet in UB/Prime stove

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 18 10:52:19 CST 2015

Dear Prof. Nurhuda,

Thank you for posting that video that so clearly shows the variability
of TLUD flames, along with measurements of the openings for each
intensity on your stove.

The lowest (about 1 mm) is truly tiny, and TLUD developers everywhere
need to be aware of how extremely small is the opening that will
continue a viable TLUD flame.

Then small changes in the opening (measured in just a few mm) can
produce visibly different results.

And fully open (20 mm) is what a TLUD can have if there is essentially
no restriction on primary air.

What is also shown is that the increase in the secondary air is not
proportional to that of the increase in primary air.  The flame keeps
getting taller.   Visually, that is noteworthy.   But when a pot is in
place, the cleanliness (low emissions) of the different flames will be
different.   This is that case in all natural draft (ND) TLUD stoves, as
far as I know.

This illustrates one of the major advantages of having FA (fan assisted
or Force Air) with TLUDs.   In those cases where the proportions remain
constant, the fire should become visually more vigorous (turbulent) but
the height of the flame should stay quite low.   Perhaps not even 2 -3
cm difference in height between the lowest and the highest flames, but
with significant increase of the heat that is sent up to the pot.

Expect TLUD stoves to be major topics and numerous presentations at the
coming ETHOS meeting on 29 - 31 January in Seattle.   BTW, TODAY is the
official last day to send in your abstracts.   (I say "official" because
after today the organizers can accept or reject proposals for
presentation, and I have not seen any extension of the deadline.)

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com