[Stoves] Fly ash cement, Curiosity, contibnued---

T Hastings mrthomhastings at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 05:20:44 CST 2015

Hi Dean,

Whilst being without the facilities to test the material continuously
I can say it has only very limited erosion by flame. Direct contact
with flame is no problem and the material acts very much like a
ceramic. In the stoves it does expand and contract a little but is
very tolerant of cracking and the cracks do not lead to breakage in
the same way as a fired ceramic. It certainly does not crumble in the
way a portland cement stove would. Pieces of KSIAL geopolymer have sat
inside a firebrick lined woodstove and lasted a fully heating season.
The pieces are brittle but not eroded.

Our prototype cook stoves have seen a fair bit of use and are holding
up well. The grate of the larger charcoal stove is still functioning
well and has been repeatedly been loaded with charcoal (and wood) and
burnt down to ash. I have noticed some minor cracking in the stoves
but nothing that goes through or causes breakage so far.

Repairability is proven and can extend the life of a stove
considerably. In the attached photo of the rocket stove the turbulence
inducing bumps in the chimney were added after the stove was made and
used. New material bonds to old and can be used to repair cracks and
broken pieces in a simple workshop.

As different densities can be made in the one casting a hard liner can
be backed up with a low density more insulative version of the same
material. There is also the possibility of using KSIAL as a 5 -10 mm
thick cast-in liner to other materials such as cobb. It certainly has
some possibilities to be explored.

Best Regards
Thomas Hastings
Unity Stove