[Stoves] Fine particles as fuel in TLUDs

Marquitusus marquitusus at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 04:07:39 CST 2015

Hi, in the mids December I consulted the list about my problems with almond husks as TLUD's fuel.The problem is the smaller particles of this fuel obstruct the primary air flow and the pyrolisys stops.
Kirk suggested me using the "can method": just screening the fuel and use the smaller fraction for filling a can that will be put inside the reactor, surrounded by the large particles fraction. I recently tried this method, and it really worked! You can see pics here: http://cuinessolars.jimdo.com/cuines/cuines-gasificadores/
So, this opens the door for using any size of fuel in a ND-TLUD, from rice hulls to saw dust or any other little particles fuel ( I understand that in a FD-TLUD is not necessary, because of the forced air draft). Also, this method can allow to shorten the size of the chimneys or risers, because less draft is necessary.
The bad news are we need a can (that is exposed to high temps that will deteriorate it) and we need to previously screen the fuel, but I think these are minor handicaps compared to the benefits it brings
Marc