[Stoves] Fwd: Simmering test

Raman P raman03 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 21:30:58 CST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Raman P <raman03 at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM
Subject: Simmering test
To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>

Dear all,

It it is interesting to see a lot of discussion on simmering test. This is
one of areas of WBT, needs more clarity.

As per the discussions, at many time simmering test can give a misleading
result about the efficiency of the cookstove.  During the summering phase
the vessel gets the thermal energy from two sources one is from the fuel
and another one is from the stored heat, which is released from the
cookstove material. Hence when we quote the efficiency of the cookstove, it
should be the fraction of the total energy input (sensible heat + latent
heat) transferred to the vessel over the total energy input , during the
complete WBT. Simmering phase test cannot be dropped from WBT, even though
it is not the only parameter used to evaluate the performance of the
cookstove. But, simmering phase is an important part of cooking practice.
During the actual cooking, the stove is not operated only at high power.
For example, boiling milk is a tricky process and control over firepower is
very important. When a cook can boil the milk without spillover, it is
considered that the stove and cook are good, in controlling the fire power.

I have discussed a lot about the simmering phase in my two publications.
Those who are interested can access the paper through the following links.

1.    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360544214005325

2.    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360544214003417

In the second link, you may find a short presentation about the study (next
to the highlights)

With Best Regards,

P Raman, Ph.D