[Stoves] Stove tests - in practice?

Samer Abdelnour samer.abdelnour at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 15:11:31 CST 2015

Hi all,

As always, I am learn quite a lot from the discussion on tests and
efficiency, etc. However, as a 'social' scientist I can't help but
question the never-ending strive for better measures and metrics, some
of which appear to me to have little to do with the way users
understand, experience, or use stoves.

Perhaps the following questions might be picked up in the discussion:

i) What do the various stove tests actually measure? And how do these
specifically relate (in practice, not in theory) with the way people
cook?

ii) What verifiable claims (again, in practice, not theory) can be
made based upon the various tests? Do tests predict future impact in
terms of how users use them? What about fuel use, environmental, or
social outcomes?

Best,
Samer