[Stoves] The need to continue the discussion: simmer efficiency

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 09:51:10 CST 2015

Dear Crispin,

You take a standard pot of water.

You boil the water and see how much fuel was used and how many emissions
were made.

You simmer water for 45 minutes.

You then try to make a stove that uses less wood and makes fewer emissions
to do the same task.

Eventually you evolve a much better stove.

When I started experimenting with stoves they used around 550 grams of wood
to boil 5 liters of water.

Now stoves routinely use around 300 grams.

Stoves used to make lots of PM and CO.

Now stoves make much less because stoves evolved using testing with
emissions equipment.

There are now biomass stoves that meet the WHO indoor air quality
guidelines. This seemed almost impossible a few years ago.

For example, some TLUDs are now really great stoves. They are clean burning
at high and low power. The newer Tom Reed type fan stove doesn't put soot
on pots! The Rocket stove is better. There's lots of better stoves now
including side feed fan stoves. Folks cooked on them at ETHOS, etc.

I am a simple guy. Testing with emission equipment has been the tool that
has created this progress. The cooks add critical functionality and having
cooks help to design the stove is necessary to create a stove that is
acceptable to them.

I admire your energy and I hope it helps us to make more progress through
stove testing. Folks need better stoves to protect health, etc.

Best,

Dean