[Stoves] Gold Standard & CDM regarding char-making stoves ....Re: Updating your WBT and PEMS/LEMS Spreadsheet

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Fri Feb 27 10:58:11 CST 2015

Thanks Paul for sharing.

>Subject line changed because this is NOT about WBT.   But from a message
(found below) by Crispin about the WBT measurements, the following comment
should be considered by those who have involvement with Gold Standard (GS)
and CDM measurements.  Crispin wrote:

>>....the performance of the [stove] under investigation has to be reported
correctly with respect to fuel consumption from the supply, because that is
how the Gold Standard and CDM and most projects conceive of it. They have
been using the heat transfer efficiency proxy which is quite misleading for
a lot of stoves. The more char typically produced, the more misleading the
rating, and the scale of the error runs to more than 200% of value.

>This relates (I think) to the GS and CDM issues about whether or not
char-production and sequestration of carbon as biochar should be factored
into the GS and CDM calculations and rewards about carbon-related projects.

What needs to happen is that those involved in the use of remnant char
should decide what metrics they want - for example, energy content, carbon
content, mass or carbon relative to initial mass of carbon, things like
that.

Then we can incorporate the metrics in a performance and fuel consumption
report.

What is critical is that the stove is rated for doing something it does, not
something it does not do. Creating char is something 'it does' but is not
part of the standard performance metrics or expectations of a lot of
programmes.

It is quite easy to create a separate format for reporting and following the
useful and unused energy along different energy paths.  This is faithfully
done in power stations where tiny changes in losses mean big savings. A
comprehensive energy audit and thermal performance of say, a sugar factory,
will find many places where efficiency can be increased. Such a systems
analysis has many separate elements. A stove is a separate element within an
energy path that might include fuel harvesting, preparation,
intensifying/concentrating, combustion, and disposal (waste).

All very interesting and necessary as people take an interest in char and
what happens to it.