[Stoves] Paper from Clarkson

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Jan 3 18:48:11 CST 2015

Dear Ron

The dry char mass is reported ‎in grams. It is not reported as a % of the fuel mass. The char mass is reported without including unusable ash and carbonaceous ash. You will find this to be a different figure from some other methods.

In other words, char produced really is 'charcoal' not 'everything that is left'. The ash and junk is considered separately.

Crispin:  cc stoves list

        Thanks.

        I will need more time to comment.

        In this Clarkson paper, I find no credit given for intentionally produced/saved char.  But in subsequent list dialog re the stove test procedures that Indonesia is now employing, I believe you said that char-making stove manufacturers could receive information on produced char, if they asked for it.  What is your recommendation on how such char information should be treated in reporting stove efficiency?

        In the Clarkson slide Ppt at the site you give below, reference 1 is given as:
http://www.newdawnengineering.com/website/library/Papers+Articles/ETHOS/20140122%20ETHOS%20Annegarn,%20Pemberton‐Pigott%20Definitions.ppt
        This failed for me, but I found this did work (replacing “ppt” with “pdf”)
http://www.newdawnengineering.com/website/library/Papers+Articles/ETHOS/20140122%20ETHOS%20Annegarn,%20Pemberton-Pigott%20Definitions.pdf

Ron