[Stoves] thermo-mechanical stove automation?

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Wed Jan 28 20:02:48 CST 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 05:52:12PM -0600, David Young wrote:
> Has anybody looked at thermo-mechanical actuation of biomass stoves,
> especially TLUDs?  I.e., using the contraction/expansion of metals due
> to the heating/cooling of the stove to adjust air supplies, adapt to
> combustion conditions and stages, et cetera?

Someone asked privately what I meant, so I will clarify.

By thermo-mechanical actuation, I mean using a material's expansion,
contraction, or change of phase to transform heat to a motion that
performs a control function.  Examples of such actuators are bimetallic
strips, wax motors, and nitinol wire.

(I may be abusing the terms "thermo-mechanical" and "actuation"!)

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung at pobox.com    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981