[Stoves] Story about a successful TLUD in Indonesia

Camilla Fulland camilla.fulland at primestoves.com
Tue Jul 21 05:01:11 CDT 2015

Dear Ron (and the list),

Thank you for sharing the Boiling Point story on the list and for the nice
comments.

Prime Cookstoves has, since being established in 2013, exported to more than
20 countries and sold more than 10,000 stoves commercially to distributors
around the world. We manufacture the stoves developed by Prof. Nurhuda in
Indonesia, whilst our HQ is in Oslo. As mentioned below, Prime was
established with funding from Differ (www.differgroup.com), a Norwegian
company that invests in or establishes companies in the renewable
energy/energy efficiency sector in Asia and Africa. Differ has also
established Ditana Energy Solutions, a distribution company for Prime
cookstoves in Indonesia that has so far sold more than 3,000 Prime stoves to
end-users, in addition to Vitalité Zambia that retails Prime cookstoves in
Lusaka. Being involved all along the value chain from stove development to
end-user distribution in several countries provides Differ/Prime/Ditana with
a rather unique position as information and knowledge can be easily shared.

To answer your questions below, why do end-users like Prime cookstoves, I
will refer to a recent impact assessment study we conducted in
North-Sumatra, Indonesia:

1.       Fuel savings: Average reduction of fuelwood consumption of 57%

2.       Price: Affordable for end-users without subsidies (3 months’
pay-back time)

3.       Time savings: Average time savings of 8 hrs per household per week
if fuelwood is collected

4.       Monetary savings: Average savings of USD 2.5 per household per week
if fuelwood is purchased (does not include savings if fuelwood is used to
replace expensive LPG)

5.       Smokeless flame: Users reported significant reduction in smoke
compared to traditional cooking practices common in the area

6.       Fuel flexibility: Prime cookstoves can burn a large variety of
biomasses (dried corncobs, branches, coconut hust etc etc), increasing
flexibility and reducing reliance on fuelwood

7.       Reduced tending time: In our experience users like batch-loaded
stoves as they require minimal tending which also saves them time as the
stove does not “tie them to the kitchen”. They also utilize the char-burning
time for heating water and other tasks that do not require intense heat.

We are currently working on updating our website but I will share this on
the list once it is launched. I have forwarded your email to Kopernik in
case they would like to comment.

Hope this was useful!

Kind regards,

Camilla