[Stoves] PM measurement with Speck

Christina Espinosa c_espinosa1 at u.pacific.edu
Wed Jun 10 18:09:17 CDT 2015

I asked Kirk Smith if he had used this one before and here is his response
regarding these type of PM devices for the home from tests they have run:

"There a number of PM devices on the market now designed for general
consumers -- at least a dozen in China alone. plus some here.  We have
evaluated several and are doing another batch here soon at our lab in
Richmond.  So far, none has the combination we want of

-- precise and stable enough readings
--small and light enough for personal monitoring
--ease in zeroing and calibrating
--high enough upper limit -- they typically stop at 1 mg/me or lower
--ease in cleaning -- necessary for our environments or even in dirty Asian
cities
--reasonable battery life
--easy datalogging, downloading, etc

Our UCB-PATs+ does meet these criteria and is now undergoing field
trials.   (We are also flying it on our aerial particle monitor (drone) in
India.)  Would not expect it to be commercially available (from BA) until
early next year, however."

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Roberto Poehlmann <
roberto.poehlmann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> i found this links about specksensor, with experiments results:
>
> http://publiclab.org/notes/chrisbartley/04-15-2014/speck-particle-monitor
>
> This is another monitor of PM:
> http://www.dylosproducts.com/ornodcairqum.html
>
> ..and another:
> http://aircasting.org/
>

> Arduino:
>
> In the world of Arduino, you can DIY your own PM device, like this
> (Dustduino):
>
> http://publiclab.org/notes/Schroyer/11-23-2013/measure-coarse-and-fine-air-particulates-with-a-dustduino
>
> It uses the sensor Shinyei PPD-42 Dust Sensor (
> http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/grove-dust-sensor-p-1050.html)
>
> This is a experiment to compare this Japan sensor with a similar Korean
> Sensor, http://aqicn.org/sensor/shinyei/
>
> It says that "There are many affordable and low-cost air particule sensor.
> The most famous one is definitely the Japanese Shinyei sensor, with a cost
> of around 75 CNY (12 USD)"
>

> This is another DIY monitor with arduino:
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-one-PM25-monitor-with-Arduino-UNO/
>
> It uses the sensor SDS011 (link http://inovafitness.com/product-35.html).
>

> Finally, i found this document, that describe various sensors and describe
> how it works.
> http://www.teco.edu/~budde/publications/inss2012_budde.pdf
>

> I have now two Arduinos, and i will make (some day) my own datalogger
> (temp, PM, CO, oxygen, etc.). The sensors for Arduino's are not to
> expensive, and in Internet exists a lot of examples of this type of devices.
>
> This is, for example, a dalalogger made with Arduino:
>
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Temp-Logger/
>
> https://blog.adafruit.com/2010/09/07/a-thermocouple-datalogger-based-on-the-arduino-platform/
>
> Cheers
> Roberto