[Stoves] PM measurement with Speck

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Mon Jun 15 14:43:48 CDT 2015

Dear Crispin, stovers,

So if I understand what you are saying the sample is diluted enough such that only single particles are measured and they are not entered into the detector as in groups. I’m thinking more of dirty water that I am familiar with. The dirty water is paced into a vial and tilted (shaken) just before  making a measure of reflected light from the group. But if we want counts the water is diluted and number of each particle determined. This to count cells etc.
is this much the same as measuring particles in air?

wondering:

Does white colored particles give more reflected light than black particles?

What is the converting factor going from reflected light to mass?

When the reported value is 2.5 um is there a range like from 3um to 2um and above and below that not included?

Is the angle of reflected light used to determine the size of the particles?

thanks

Frank

Frank Shields
franke at cruzio.com