[Stoves] PM measurement with Speck

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Thu Jun 18 16:52:40 CDT 2015

Dear Frank

The colour is not used to give a size, it is used to estimate the carbon
content. The photometric method is apparently quite accurate - far beyond
what you can see with your eye.

Berkeley has an app for that.

well - I agree with Dean on this as it is impossible to convert reflected
light from particles to a weight basis unless that particles are of the same
shape, size and make-up and all previously calibrated.

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields
franke at cruzio.com

> On Jun 18, 2015, at 1:42 PM, ajheggie at gmail.com wrote:
>
> [Default] On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:43:48 -0700,Frank Shields
> <franke at cruzio.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Crispin, stovers,
>>
>> So if I understand what you are saying the sample is diluted enough such
that only single particles are measured and they are not entered into the
detector as in groups. I'm thinking more of dirty water that I am familiar
with. The dirty water is paced into a vial and tilted (shaken) just before
making a measure of reflected light from the group. But if we want counts
the water is diluted and number of each particle determined. This to count
cells etc.
>> is this much the same as measuring particles in air?
>>

>> wondering:
>>
>> Does white colored particles give more reflected light than black
particles?

>> What is the converting factor going from reflected light to mass?
>>
>> When the reported value is 2.5 um is there a range like from 3um to 2um
and above and below that not included?