[Stoves] How Results Based Financing is spurring solar market development in Tanzania

Christina Espinosa christina at gentegas.com
Mon Mar 2 10:11:52 CST 2015

Hi Crispin!

Interesting! Let me know how the process goes. I love the business side to
stoves.

Its a good first step to testing something for larger scale, but funders
will want to see that their investment is having an impact and fuel
stacking will continue to provide problems for us in the cookstoves sector.

We are getting ready to do SUMs and an adoption study here in Guatemala
with LPG, but most of the households are adopting pressure cookers, so it
will be interesting to see if we have lots of fuel stacking with the
pressure cooker.

Keep up the great work!

Best,
Christina

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 12:54 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> Dear Christina
>

> We are actually implementing something close to that now – not so
> complicated by a junior version of your very good idea.
>

> 1)      Pass a minimum requirement of a lab test that met a certain
> standard.
>

> That is done using locally relevant cooking cycles.
>
>       2) Perform an in-field test (independent of the organization) that
> met a requirement (emissions).
>
> That is not felt necessary because what is done in the lab is what people
> do in the field. They actually come and show us what they do and we measure
> it.
>

> 3.)    Once they passed both #1 and #2 the RBF would be granted to a
> Phase 1 small amount and stove use monitoring (SUMS) would be conducted on
> a number of stoves for 6 months.
>

> We just pay 70% for selling it, and 30% of people are using it. The 30% is
> factored for the % of people who use it, not the % of time that they use
> it. This is because people have multiple stoves for various purposes.
>

> 4) If the stove use monitoring reached a XX% of adoption over the period
> of time it would then qualify for Phase 2 funding through the RBF. (In
> order to continue some type of metrics SUMs montoring could be run on a
> certain percent of stoves to ensure adoption, or SUMs monitoring could
> continue after 6 months of initial use or follow up surveys after 1 year of
> usage).
>
> That is a good idea, provided it manages to accommodate the fact that a
> home may have 7 stoves and only used them when they are appropriate. All 7
> will be, we hope, improved stoves eventually. If the home only has 1 stove
> that would be easier.
>

> Regards
>
> Crispin

Christina Espinosa