[Stoves] palm oil refuse use??

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Mar 14 20:17:08 CDT 2015

Dear Ron

There are indeed millions of tons of it and like Bagasse, it is an environmental problem on the bio oil estates.

There is a project at Yayasan Dian Desa in Yogyakarta successfully demonstrating how to gasify it ‎ the person to speak to is Anton.

They have demonstration units of 125 and 300 or so kW. I have a few pictures. It is far cleaner in terms of the environment than the Indian rice hull gasifier that I reported seeing in Cambodia. Tom Miles says there are about 225 of those units in Cambodia and they are causing problems because when gasifying rice hull to get a char product there is a black liquid byproduct.

‎The same would be true of the empty bunches but Anton seems to have overcome this. It produces no liquid like that at all - in other words if gasifies everything. This may be an important consideration in your application.

‎You may recall seeing the student research version of the GEK gasifier at ETHOS. It also produced a vile dark liquid. Frank was there this week and reported an extremely clean burn from their generators. I wonder if they still 'drip'. Frank??

Anton is contactable through Christina Aristanti who is on this list. They have been working with the Japanese on this. They have a wonderfully equipped lab.

In the YDD workshop I saw a very small gasifier that is used to run an engine. It makes char as far as I know. They told me 'it is very simple' and they made it themselves in the welding shop. Because islands run small gen sets it might suit you well. Candle nut shells are an excellent charring fuel and the product could be sold. It is quite strong.

        Anyone aware of any work with stoves (especially char-making) that are using palm oil bunch refuse?  Should be a lot of material free or very low cost in Malaysia and Indonesia.

Ron

stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/