[Stoves] Fwd: 2015 Stove Camp at Aprovecho Research Center

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon May 18 17:36:46 CDT 2015

Dear Dean

“The WHO guidelines for PM are very difficult to meet - 1.75 mg/min for an unvented stove and 7.15 mg/min for a vented stove.”

I am interested know where the target of 7.15 mg/minute comes from. Do you have any idea? I presume this is PM2.5.

Does anyone else know?

If a stove is vented (a chimney stove) why would there be a target for total emissions? Until the outdoor emissions are high enough to bother anyone there seems to be no reason to have a target for PM. It would make sense to detect leakage into the room rather than total emissions up the chimney.  Perhaps you have a way to test for leakage.

It is a bit obvious that placing a chimney on a 3 mg/minute stove would easily meet the target.  If an unvented stove emits say, 2 mg/minute, reduce the size of the stove by 25%.

Seven different stoves tested at the YDD Lab in 2014 achieved this <1.75 target, the best was under 0.7 mg/minute (averaged over 1 hours 15 minutes which is the standard CSI-Indonesia test cycle). To give some other numbers from that same stove, the emission of PM2.5 was 9.2 mg/MJ delivered into the pot and the CO 3.0 g/MJ delivered. All those numbers are the average of three tests.

I think this idea of a competition is great for developers who can be challenged for very specific performance metrics!

Thanks
Crispin