[Stoves] big TLUD

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Wed May 20 15:35:37 CDT 2015

Dear Crispin, and Stovers,

Interesting topic. And there must be an optimum and way to measure and determine what this is.

I’m thinking its air channeling (sections of high air movement) that gives the problem resulting in un-even air front.

In addition to size of particles.  Particles must be of a size able to ignite from radiant heat from neighboring particles. At stove camp they stated a value - something like no more than three times the size of the match(?). And that should apply here I would think. We can start with small particles on top to light and gradually go to larger particles as the flame front moves down? OR does that mean larger particles can be no more than three times the smaller particles so all neighbor particles will light. A test of particle distribution and uniformity coefficient might be a good test.

How can we test for channeling?
Perhaps: Have air flowing through the system then add pure CO2 and measure the CO2 increase at the other end. With even flow there should be a sharp increase but with channeling it would be a gradual increase?

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields
franke at cruzio.com