[Stoves] Mongolian stove for heating

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat May 23 11:44:35 CDT 2015

Dear Courtenay

Thanks for the support and links. I presume you saw the chart of ambient
PM2.5 released last week. If you have means to do so, can you confirm that
this is the first time a major city has cleaned up its air without changing
fuels? I would like to be able to say that with more confidence. I have only
read that ‘it has never been done before’ and set that as a personal target
7 years ago.

The reduction asked for (the project target) in 2007 from the WB was 30%
from the stove itself, with the expectation that this would be achieved by
reducing fuel consumption, an expectation rooted ultimately in the belief
that the smoke was an inherent property of the coal, not the coal+stove
combination. On that score the project has made an excellent demonstration
of what is possible. It is not unusual to see tests with a 98% reduction
against the baseline.

>From the initial 30% reduction target, now no stove is accepted into the
programme unless it has reduced PM by more than 90%. As MCC provided about
60% of the funding to date I think it would be good to have on record that
this is the first time the air quality has been improved so much – better
than Berkeley’s best case Scenario 2 – with only a change in the stoves. If
it is true, it should be on MCC’s list of signal achievements.

It is clear from design experiment results that we are not reaching the
limits yet on CO and PM reduction, or thermal efficiency. The stove
development centre will open soon and have the capacity to develop and test
water heating stoves, small boilers both high and low pressure, and regular
home and Ger stoves. It is expected that as a result of their work, further
improvement in stove performance will be seen in the coming years.