[Stoves] Secondary air in Rocket Works stove www.rocketworks.org

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Mon May 25 04:45:32 CDT 2015

[Default] On Mon, 25 May 2015 11:15:19 +0200,Marquitusus
<marquitusus at hotmail.com> wrote:

>On the other hand, after the secondary flames are formed, I see they immediately touch the cooking pot. Wouldn't be better to leave some space for this secondary flames to expand and finishing to burn all the gases before touching the bottom of the pot? Do you get completely clean pot bottoms after cooking with the Zama Zama?

I see this often in pictures of pots on stoves, it's perceived wisdom
that quenching the flame with a pot exacerbates formation of sooty
particulates so I have a couple of questions:

1: in a stove where excess air is controlled is there much heat loss
in having a short insulated spacer to allow the flame to burn out? Or
heat losses in that extra length too significant?

2: We know with a premixed natural gas flame there are two flames, an
inner hotter bright blue cone where the premixed air strips and burns
the hydrogen content of the CH4 and an outer paler blue diffuse flame
that is getting air from outside the flame (or have I misunderstood).
For maximum temperature you hold the object to be heated inside the
diffuse pale blue flame and just above the completion point of the
bright blue cone.

Now a premixed woodgas flame is far more complicated and close to
impossible to achieve with natural draught but I wonder if there is a
hotter spot in the flame above a woodstove that it "pays" to use
despite the formation of soot?

AJH