[Stoves] Patenting to protect public access

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 10:27:08 CST 2015

Hello all;

Does anyone know anything about patenting or registering an innovation to
preserve it as open technology?

One approach may be to take out a regular patent and let it lapse.

However, does anyone know about the Global Innovation Commons?
http://www.globalinnovationcommons.org/contribute

The concern is that someone may develop a new design of stove for their
country, only to have an unscrupulous business person patent the idea, and
prevent the original inventor from freely using it.

Almost all the development of TLUD technology has been by volunteers,
donating their time and money.  After the ideas became public, a couple of
people who were (to my knowledge) not involve in the development took out
patents.  Fortunately, their patents lapsed after about three years.
However, in future cases we may not be so lucky.

Cheers,
Julien.

--
Julien Winter