[Stoves] Good enough stove?

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Tue Nov 24 00:09:24 CST 2015

Dear Crispin, Stovers,

Please see below:

> On Nov 23, 2015, at 11:25 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Frank
>
> There is a guy in India who is contributing to the work of Working Group 3 (Field Testing) who says he can give me an ultimate analysis of any biofuel based on 4 measurements.

Does he have a TGA and CHN analyzer? or calorimeter?

> It reminds me of the work of Dr Tom Reed who proposed a general case for all biomass composition. On an ash-free dry basis, all biomass is substantially the same, and when factoring in the volatile %, a ‘pretty good guess’ can be made for the overall composition.

Well this is where we really differ. We are talking biomass fuels ranging from manures to Richards formulated pressed fuels. Nothing you can look up. And all tests must be directly related to the fuel being used or we waste our time and lots of room for corruption. So we need to determine total energy, volatile matter at 550c and volatile energy 450C (under N2). Can he give us those values with a TGA? And a calorimeter to give total energy dry wt? If not we can go through the motions with your book values and see how things work.

What I do believe is the same is the energy value of the char (under N2 -DAF) values. It is between 80 and 90% carbon with one % hydrogen and the rest oxygen. I am suggesting giving that value 85%C, 1% H  to use in calculating for the energy of that fraction. That will be our biggest variable but because all will be using it and that a much larger energy fraction will go off as the volatiles (450c in N2) and that only a percentage of this energy value is used in the calculations for what is used to ‘boil the water’ task - it is a small error.

For example:
Total dry sample is 100g (1800kj)
Ash 8g

Volatile fraction 75g (450c-N2)(1800-510=1290kj)

Fixed sample 25g
Fixed sample DAF 17g
Estimating:
(510kj) (using 30kj/g)

Estimating:
This is 85% carbon (14.5 g C) and <1% H (0.17g)

The carbon goes from Solid-C > CO and
CO > CO2 both releasing energy.

****What I want help with is how to determine the percentage of the energy from the 14.5g carbon that is released when converting to CO and the rest of the energy from CO -> CO2. Not sure if its Bond Energy or Enthalpy to use for the calculations?

and what is the bond energy required to remove a carbon from a graphite sheet? I think its held with three bonds and the fourth holding the sheets together without a ‘bond’. That is C (three bonds C = 960 kj/mol or 960/12 = 80g??

O2 has a bond energy of 498 kj/mol or 498/16 = 31.1 kj/g?? or is it 498 = 15.6??

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Frank