[Stoves] [biochar] [biochar-stoves] A review of chronological development in cookstove assessment methods: Challenges and way forward

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Nov 25 10:52:51 CST 2015

Paul, Brian, and lists:

	1.  Thanks to both Paul and Brian (their messages below).  Brian’s is a nice comparison to CHP.  The efficiency for CHP is always taken as the sum of the separate power and heat.  Using the waste heat is clearly to everyone’s advantage (save companies selling less fuel).   Biochar literature has tacked on a B to discuss combined heat, power and biochar as CHPB.  There is a considerable difference from CHP in that the B = biochar competes with the H and P.  More B means less of both H and P.  But the terms are all (necessarily) measured in energy terms.  What other units could be used?

	The same seems true for what Brian is calling CHC.  No reason not to use this, but an alternative is obviously CHB.  If one was producing char only for further combustion, then CHC would certainly be preferred.  The stoves list will probably use both CHC and CHB interchangeably.   Biochar (three sites receiving this) and climate (on which this first started) lists will presumably mostly prefer CHB.

	I cannot accept Frank Shield’s arguments below.  He is trying to force a false preference between char-making or not - when such a choice is not needed.  Both are wanted by many if not most stove users.  I again ask Frank to express an opinion on which efficiency and inefficiency (presumably always inversely related exactly) is best.  His reply to me was not used by Brian - so readers will have to go back to a message close to mine on the 22nd.

	I similarly reject the arguments by Kevin Chisholm against the use of both the third and fourth efficiencies.  Like Frank, he offers no answers to my two basic ending questions, and (I find) no valid reasons for those two rejections.

	I have added Prof.  Jain again - as it was his comment (below) that I quoted in moving this climate thread to the stoves and biochar arenas:

	I again urge readers new to this thread to read his lengthy scholarly (free) article relating climate issues to stoves in numerous ways.

	To all - I hope we can hear more on especially the inefficiency computations; forget efficiencies.  Also on what is the physics or chemistry which causes char-making stoves to be more efficient?  Is the fuel composition of either/both H2 and O2 important?   Another possibility is that it is where the flame appears.  Burning char in a TLUD is obviously inefficient because the main flame and energy release is as far from the cook pot as possible - below the char, not above it.

To Paul - I hope this is what you wanted.

Ron