[Stoves] A review of chronological development in cookstove assessment methods: Challenges and way forward

Art Donnelly art.donnelly at seachar.org
Thu Nov 26 15:40:02 CST 2015

Art Donnelly
President SeaChar.Org
US Director, The Farm Stove Project
http://shop.seachar.org/collections/all
<http://email2.globalgiving.org/wf/click?c=1Oy%2FmZbgIyjS5WI580KXwShvfKBcF2eaJvtN7Pi6p7Jl%2FiR4938EMMCBwY%2FuYALeA%2BQYUWN4RpvnxBsBC7e2%2BGIHcONTozBmvsUU5LTL%2FTNk4Q3vxE%2BKdXTV2cxIsFplSPh%2F9nMG3bQMQf4bz9ZK9SHMy46Z8OPLAtMAnPG9SKkPuLCWvofBTLC%2BImqax%2BZTkkF2RvDri5UdgH19NHjHOBj5WMUrS4L62Z2xxUJbBsJdDUOfeifheNFXH546Xm0yul4P2stm%2FTUOJxYnI0nFjXEaYfzxDSc%2FwgqVkR1t0USDHk30%2Fgt9UpDpyzLj37HWtnNQ0q8Jh1gZCkB4Y1Fgbg394gYFkyNqFN4MchxO2Js%3D&rp=wrhiOr2wAxUyDMDlMSqbOkKa0FpPoiCSHffb%2ByfHGClRxIFjEIrUDwAF%2BFD%2BpAPuvam9BDwvSMcadhFv7aFwKoyAXYrFk00%2B92xPIeMHXaTDJ3x0VIj6ZYwjm1win65o&up=YDTqBOjidbCUo%2Far1oAtZjp5ji73zPEvmoO14mevuXzIDUdb6Ac9W13SPOXmzL5NflZkH0HxLp0v4dT9UwEHDV0wSZ1qusv09bIKkUliWs4%3D&u=LHuflw_1TAib_lgCu2JvQw%2Fh0>
"SeaChar.Org...positive tools for carbon negative living"

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net>
wrote:

> [...]
> using thermo-couples and a k-type digital thermometer. I have done that
> with the 55-gallon J-ROs, but not my smaller cook-stoves so I can not give
> you an accurate answer.*
>

>    - It will currently boil 5-liters of water (no lid) in approximately
>    25-30 minutes
>    - It will then hold the water at a high simmer for 45-50 minutes
>    - As the maximum temperature of carbonization is the same as that of
>    the Estufa Finca cook-stove that we have been using for the past 5+ years,
>    we expect that we will see a similar result when we have samples of this
>    biochar laboratory characterized for estimated available surface area. IE;
>    450-500m2 per gram
>
> In the lab using the WBT our "Low Power Specific Consumption" score looks
> terrible. But I do not believe that means that these are an inefficient or
> wasteful stove.
>
> *[RWL4:   Can you expand on why “terrible”?** We got a Tier 1 rating on
> an earlier version of the prototype in July. That has improved since then
> but not by enough to be bragging about. Problem is with a batch loaded
> gasifier I can not take fuel out of the chamber for the simmer phase, like
> you can with a Rocket stove or a three-stone fire and I can only turn down
> so far with out extinguishing the flame.*
>

> Not only do I hope that new methdologies can be developed that do not
> penalize "batch loaded " stoves, I also hope we can build up a robust data
> base of Controlled Cooking Tests, which will provide a more relevant
> assessment of the TLUDs fuel efficiency.
>
> *RWL5:   I am perfectly satisfied with what Jim Jetter and EPA are already
> reporting.  I cannot understand anyone ever saying that char produced
> should neither be measured nor reported.*
> * Controlled cooking tests need to report time spent in front of the stove
> - and someone should report on tests that limit the amount of time that can
> be spent there.*
>
> RE: the value of the charcoal : sure you can burn it. I've barbecued on
> my stove's charcoal many times. But , as you have produced a product which
> can be sold at a higher price for use in soil amendments, water filters,
> personal care products and medicine, we found we could charge more for it
> and that there is a real market for this product.
>
> *RWL6:  Most important of all (hard for some to believe) is to place the
> ground for climate reasons (the topic of Prof. Jain’s paper).*
>
> These are cook-stoves. But I have now sold over 500 of the classic Estufa
> Finca design to US gardeners, who are mostly interested in making biochar
> with as little pollution and waste as possible.
>
> *[RWL7:  Glad you used the term “biochar” here (= soil amendment).  I
> don’t think we should call char used for many purposes as biochar.*
>
> * Art:  Thanks for all you are doing with biochar and stoves.  Especially
> moderating this new web site.*
>
> *Ron*
> I hope my answers clarify what I was trying to say.

I also hope that like me you have the chance to celebrate and give thanks
today for the gift that is our bountiful earth.  . Everyday is a good day
for thanks giving.