[Stoves] Efficiency / inefficiency

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Thu Nov 26 19:32:12 CST 2015

Dear Crispin,

You write:
> I will remind you that I clearly labelled it the ‘Cooking efficiency”. There are many efficiencies one can calculate about a stove.

It seems that since efficiency involves two values that it would make it much more clearer if both values were stated. In fact it seems meaningless if both are not.

you write ‘cooking efficiency’. That means the task is cooking something and when that cooking has completed the process stops. Thats one value but what is the other? The weight of fuel, energy of fuel, particle emission, hazards of cooking, number of people feed, time it took etc. etc.

 The WBT is the energy of fuel used per the energy in the water after conditions are met and defined by a test method. But before we establish a test method to cite we need to clearly state the two values. No simple task.

Cooking rice:

One value) 500 grams of long grain rice in a pot with seven liters of water.
Two value) weight of as-received biomass used

We need to describe the six boxes used in the test.
We may need to first determine energy used so to normalize the test to the biofuel on site and then calculate back to the biomass mass used ‘adjusted’.

And what is in-efficiency? Is that the inverse of efficiency? Less than what is expected?

Regards & Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields