[Stoves] Adding fuel to TLUD ..... was Re: A review of chronological development in cookstove assessment methods: Challenges and way forward

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 27 15:27:19 CST 2015

Ron,     see below.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com

On 11/27/2015 12:10 PM, Ronal W. Larson wrote:
> 4.  Here is an idea that I wonder if you (anyone) has tried. (I haven’t)
> a.  Start a TLUD in the normal way -  maximum primary air may be best
>  (since mostly we want high power only at the beginning).
> b.  As soon as the pyrolysis front is clearly well established - then
> add a “thin” layer of the same (?) combustibles on the top.
> c.  There should be no ignition at the bottom of the new layer, as
> there is no oxygen there.   But new pyrolysis should occur - so
> increased power.   The top of the new added layer could ignite, if
> there is plenty of secondary air there.
> The down side of this is that you probably need to control the
> secondary air so that you don’t have too much latterm  Most os us
> never do this.  But there could be some inherent control of the
> secondary (that secondary follows primary naturally)..

This has been done many many times.   It is a way to extend the duration
of the TLUD operation.   You are correct that causes an increase in the
pyrolytic gas creation but does not increase secondary air (except
through increase of draft from more burning gases).   It is a good way
to put soot on the bottom of the pot. Note that this is anoxic pyrolysis
via the heat, with no small flames (glowing pyrolysis) present as is
found in the MPF (migratory pyrolytic front).

Actually two conditions are possible.
1.  As you describe, while the MPF is also functional and descending.
2.  After the MPF reaches the bottom (and stops because it transitions
into char-burning at the bottom).  This is how people make their unit
become "continuous" (at least until it chokes up with too much char or
ash).   But it requires the very frequent attention to the feeding of
the fuel, thereby losing one of the desired aspects of TLUD batch
operation (consistent flame without needing to add more fuel during the
batch time of the MPF).

Therefore, what you describe certainly has been and is frequently done.
Actually, I did that in the testing in 2005 that won the Cat Pee award
at Aprovecho.   Then I did not understand it fully. Trickle feeding of
fuel into TLUD stoves does work, has pros and cons, and is likely to be
done by some individuals with or without their understanding of why or
how it works and its limitations.