[Stoves] Analysis of a two-stove cooking system

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Nov 28 09:10:11 CST 2015

Crispin,

Initial response:
Typographical errors:    (truly minor, but causes the readers to pause
to figure out the wording).
Page 2, bottom line:   Should read Stove2.   (not Stove1)
Page 4, item 3.4.1 first line:   Should read  "... efficient than
Stove1..."   (not "...that Stove1...").

Content:
Good exercise.   Well done.   Helpful for further discussion.  Yes,
there can be cooking systems with 2 stoves such as you describe.

But there is one issue concerning first paragraph of Item 2.5 (page 2):

The first 2 lines are fine.   But it seems that the final two lines are
trying to say that fuel efficiency is the same as energy efficiency.   I
read this at least 6 times.   How about some re-wording to clarify what
you are saying.

You and I have agreed in the past that fuel efficiency and energy
efficiency are not the same.   For Stove1 the fuel efficiency is based
on wood fuel.   Then for Stove2 you switch to have the fuel efficiency
based on charcoal.   But you are not giving any credit to Stove1 for
having produced the fuel for Stove2.  And that is where Ron and I and
others have been disagreeing with you.

We await clarification from you.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com