[Stoves] India LPG stoves approach Fwd: [stove] Giving it up

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 22:41:18 CDT 2015

Dear Stovers,
LPG is one of the most user friendly fuels for a stove. I was told that it
is a by product of the petroleum refining process. Formerly it used to be
burned off, but nowadays it is used as fuel. The cost of LPG is mainly the
cost of bottling and bringing it to the user, plus some taxes. As far as
the village inhabitants are concerned, the city dwellers are their role
model and they would like to have the same life style. When we try to sell
 our improved biomass burning stoves, which are of course costlier than the
home-made mud stoves, potential users refuse to buy them, because they feel
that by spending a little more money, they can get a LPG stove  It is only
the do gooders like the Rotary Club and similar other philanthropic
organizations who buy improved stoves for free distribution to villagers.
We have therefore stopped selling them to villagers. Our main buyers are
city dwellers, who occasionally cook on wood or charcoal, just for the fun
of it. Our urban household biogas plant is however quite popular, mainly
because the municipalities have stopped accepting biodegradable wet garbage
(vegetable waste, fruit waste and food waste).
Yours
A.D.Karve

***
Dr. A.D. Karve

Chairman, Samuchit Enviro Tech Pvt Ltd (www.samuchit.com)

Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)