[Stoves] Pellet stoves - risks

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Sat Sep 5 23:26:55 CDT 2015

Dear Crispin, Stovers,

They were not talking about the pellets as you mention. And that is the problem - not talking about it.

Box 3 blows up. That means to find the problem and making a solution we need to look at Box 1, Box 2 and Box 3.

Box 1 (fuel).
Was the fuel used when the mishap of the same quality as the fuel the stove was designed to use and used during original testing? If pellets, was the pellets used from a bag labeled indicating ash, energy, size and structure  within the range of the pellets intended for the stove. And during handling and storage did the pellets maintain the integrity of the original analysis. Not take up moisture or break apart.

Box 2 (fuel delivery)
Was the delivery system for the pellets working properly? Did the pellets get ground to sawdust or bunch up or fall in the wrong location?

Box 3 (combustion chamber)
An event like this that happens once in a while is likely due to something changing. Not a fixed structure like most combustion chambers are. This event likely occurred when combustable gases built up do to non-combustable conditions then air or spark ignited the gases due to some change. Could be fuel not appropriate for the stove or changes in delivery. A fixed shape of the combustion chamber means if it works one day it should always work. Perhaps there are non fixed parts to the chamber like adjustable primary and/or secondary air that should be looked at or the ignition system. But I suspect the problem be with Box 1 or Box 2. Also; In a pellet stove Box 2 can be part of Box 3 that is different than our TLUD or Rocket stoves.

So my thoughts when reading what you presented is disappointment with the approach (or lack of) about the event. Ready to point fingers and no indication of any idea as to how to approach the problem.

Thanks

Frank

Frank Shields
franke at cruzio.com