[Stoves] Pellet stoves - risks

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Sun Sep 6 16:11:38 CDT 2015

Dear Andrew, Stovers,

The problems I have had heating to a low temperature of, say, 300c is there is an outside or internal temperature that is much hotter. It could be a red hot coil of wire or glowing biomass combustion. This being the igniter for the flammable volatiles released and collected in a confined space along side the heat source. These gases need be dissipated to non flammable concentration as released and therefore the slow temperature rise I found with my set up to be important.

So how best to heat biomass to 300c?

1) intermal combustion controlled by air. You will always have a very hot spot but no oxygen to ignite the gases produced. you will have some overly charred material above 300c but could be separated from the product perhaps.

2) heat a container filled with biomass from the outside. Good control over the product. The gases need be released from the enclosed container and cannot be collected in an outside container where they have oxygen and can combust sending the temperature of the inside biomass to very high levels. This has been my problem.

3) heat from compression during creation of the pellets.  Not sure how hot this can become and if there is a means of letting the gases escape.

Without a pellet machine and requiring a consistent product I have chosen the second means to make the controlled torrefied product in the lab.

I have found it to not be as easy as it seems it should. : )

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields
franke at cruzio.com