[Stoves] Fuels of the future

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Sep 8 10:59:02 CDT 2015

Dear Jed

A few years ago Prof Lodoysamba and I made a TLUD-ignited cross-draft stove that can be refuelled indefinitely. I feel this has a lot of potential to address the shortcomings of the TLUD – particularly keeping it going without sacrificing the emissions performance.

I like the way you have done this one, and it should work just as well as a cross draft stove.

The advantage of using a crossdraft is that it uses a volume of ‘coked’ material as a breakdown zone for long chain polymers results in a very pure H2 CO and CO2 gas that burns in an adjacent chamber (above and to one side of the pyrolysis zone). I see no reason why this cannot be done using clay to make the stove body. If it is to be hopper –fed, the hopper has to be closed, but if fed more frequently, that should not be necessary.

I have asked YDD if they have access to this material.

Thanks for the report and photos.

Crispin

Dear Crispin, Paul and everyone

Let me jump into the conversation.

I am now in the midst of the gasifier stove i am fabricating and the abundant supply of pili shells. Pili (canarium ovatum) is an endemic species of my place here at the Bicol Region which is south of Manila. The shells  are very much heavier than macadamia nuts and has a density of 0.87 grams/cm3. .

Two days ago we began hauling 4 tons of the shells to become my stocks of fuel. I will sell the shells along with my PapaBrick Stove. And then, while we are hauling the shells, we were offered another 6 tons of shells from the neighbor farm, both in the same village. I used to purchase the shells from another village where to my best estimate, there is more than 10 tons per month that are very much underused. This supply is expected to increase as more farms have planted thousands of pili trees as the farmers got more awareness with the use of the shell for gasifier stoves.

On the other hand, the PapaBrick Stove is giving us satisfying performance, now that we know better how to use it can perform as a TLUD gasifier stove during the cold start phase and then work as a rocket during the hot start phase in a continuous mode.

One load receives 1.25 kg of the shells and runs for 75 minutes of very clean flame, boils 4 liter of water in 14 minutes during the cold start phase and then 9 minutes during the hot start phase.

After the flame has gone out, we can harvest an average of 2.73 grams of char from the raw fuel of 1.25 kg or about 21 % recovery.

Going further i fabricated a lantern on top of the stove. And it was very satisfying.

Regards

JEd