[Stoves] Rights about stove designs Re: [biochar-stoves]

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Sep 13 17:25:16 CDT 2015

Dean -

	Do you have a way of determining the stove manufacturer for the one than Michael and I purchased?

	Have you seen an S&H cost this low before?   Would you expect the same ($20) cost in a remote Chinese village for this product (whose size I really don’t know yet?
	Anyone making char to your (anyone’s) knowledge with these stove types?

	It seems the Chinese may be getting into biochar in a big way - so it would be very helpful to know if char-making stoves are being pushed at all?

	Twenty years ago I remember seeing a very heavy outside (Chinese) stove that moved the gas indoors for cooking on several burners.  But never anything that seemed like a TLUD - and emphasized char-making.

On Sep 12, 2015, at 11:45 PM, Dean Still <deankstill at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul and Ron,
>
> Let's not forget that the modern Chinese stove community has specialized in TLUD type natural draft stoves for more than 20 years. It's just as likely that the stove you ordered was designed in China and is now being sold worldwide. I think it is also sold by SilverFire?

	[RWL:   I found a similar stove at http://www.silverfire.us/new-for-2014-silverfire-scout-backpacking-bug-out .   Appreciably smaller than I expect from the one I bought - but as you note, it could be the same - and I didn’t get as much stoves as I thought.
	There is a fair amount of detail here - and somewhat disappointing.  For their price (a good bit more than the one direct from China), there should be some means of air control - shouldn’t add more than a buck or two to the price.
	I am also looking forward to their instructions on fill.
	I also think there could have been a means of adding swirl - for less than another buck.
		We’ll see.

> Hundreds of millions of natural draft coal burning TLUD type stoves are sold in China. Many manufacturers make biomass fueled forced air stoves like the Tom Reed stove but they are larger to match the big woks.

	[RWL:  Could they make char (as the Phillips could, but normally didn’t/doesn’t)?

> It would be very interesting to learn about the Chinese history of top feed cylindrical combustion chamber with primary and secondary air stoves.  The Chinese batch fed primary/secondary air stoves could be hundreds of years old. I don’t know.

	[RWL:   Yup.   Might they have been watching the La Fontaine demo in 1991?   Do you have ways to check that out through your own Chinese stove contacts?

	Ron