[Stoves] Clean coal burning stoves Re: History of clean Chinese stove development.

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 11:07:40 CDT 2015

Hi Paul,

I am no expert on emissions from coal that are not burned up in a stove.
Here are some scary paragraphs from the WHO Indoor Air Guidelines booklet:

A6.1 Assessment of the quality of the evidence

Three areas of evidence were assessed for quality: • carcinogenicity of
emissions from household use of coal • health risks from incomplete
combustion of coal • toxic contaminants

A6.1.1 Carcinogenicity

Carcinogenicity of household use of coal was reviewed by the International
Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC, (1), using standard assessment
methodology involving review of exposure data, studies of cancer in humans,
studies of cancer in experimental animals, and mechanistic and other
relevant data. It was concluded that for household use of coal:

 • There is sufficient evidence in humans for the carcinogenicity of
household combustion of coal. Household combustion of coal causes cancer of
the lung.

• There is sufficient evidence in experimental animals for the
carcinogenicity of emissions from combustion of coal.

 • There is sufficient evidence in experimental animals for the
carcinogenicity of extracts from coal-derived soot.

It is noted that the type of coal used by households in most, if not all,
of the epidemiological studies in this assessment, was raw (unprocessed)1
coal. The overall evaluation concluded that indoor emissions from household
combustion of coal are carcinogenic to humans (Group 1). This evidence was
assessed as being of high quality.

A6.1.3 Toxic contaminants -

Review 8 identified studies reporting on health effects of five toxic
contaminants in coal, arsenic, fluorine, selenium, mercury and lead. These
studies provide evidence on toxin content of coals, combustion and
emissions chemistry, exposure routes (i.e. food, air, water), air pollution
and exposure levels, and health impacts. Of the contaminants, the risks and
effects of arsenic and fluorine are the two most comprehensively
investigated and reported. Most of the evidence on the effects of
contaminants derives from studies in China. The assessment of evidence for
health risks from toxic contaminants of coal was based on an overall
evaluation of the available studies covering all of the aspects noted
above.

The data obtained on the content of toxic contaminants in coal, the fact
that these are not destroyed on combustion, measurements of toxins in air
and food (which are the main routes of exposure), and some dose
measurements (e.g. in blood) strongly indicate that use of contaminated
coals in the home puts members of the household at risk.

Best,

Dean

Dean Still
Executive Director