[Stoves] Influence of fuel-bed temperatures on CO and condensed matter emissions from packed-bed residential coal combustion

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Sep 19 14:24:11 CDT 2015

Dear Frank

Let’s see of Harold or Taffy or David K respond.

Dear Crispin,

It seems to me there needs be a lot more research on this. My suggested approach, if I had a lab, and money, would to pull gases out just before the secondary and gases after the secondary at the stack and compare. Doing this using helium surrogate standard to compare elements without the need of gas temperatures, speed, dilution, volume  etc. etc. Compare the tested constituents along with the helium in the gases and knowing the amount of helium that is being introduced to quantify results.

But to better understand what you are saying these tests were done after the secondary flame? There was a secondary and not just a hot bed of coals?  If so then I might suggest if the CO was produced in the primary as we want then it might be easily combusted supporting the secondary. But if an organic structure was produced in the primary (due to low temperatures?) the secondary flame might not be hot enough or time given to combust that organic structure all the way to water and CO2 leaving the CO to escape?

Studying the gases between the primary and secondary and compare what is seen after the secondary is needed before understanding what is really happening as I see it.

thanks and regards

Frank

Frank Shields

franke at cruzio.com <mailto:franke at cruzio.com>

On Sep 19, 2015, at 11:22 AM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com <mailto:crispinpigott at outlook.com> > wrote:

Dear Friends

>From the SeTAR Centre group:

“Influence of fuel-bed temperatures on CO and condensed matter emissions from packed-bed residential coal combustion”

 <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281804591_Influence_of_fuel-bed_temperatures_on_CO_and_condensed_matter_emissions_from_packed-bed_residential_coal_combustion?requestFulltext=true> Abstract

In this paper, the influence of fire-ignition methods (which determine the progression of the pyrolytic zone) and combustion temperatures on CO and condensed matter (smoke) emissions during fixed-bed coal combustion were investigated in a typical informal brazier/imbaula. Particle and gaseous samples were drawn from the exhaust through a rapid dilution sampling system (the SeTAR dilution system) before being channelled to respective gas and particle analysers. Particle morphologies and chemical composition of the particles were investigated by a VEGA3 SEM unit with EDS. Results showed that the propagation of bed temperatures in fixed-bed residential combustion has an influence on the characteristics of CO and PM10 emissions. Temperature stratification was found to depend on the fire-ignition methods. The top-lit up-draft (TLUD) fire-ignition method produced less emissions compared to bottom-lit up-draft (BLUD) fire-ignition method. Bed temperatures and the propagation front have an impact on aerosol formation and can highlight differences in the morphology of the emitted particles and the modes of formation. Increasing combustion temperature yields a decrease in emissions liquid 'tarry' substances and super-aggregates (>10 μm) but also leads to an increase in emissions of sub-micron soot particles. This work is significant in that there is still scarce information available in literature on fuel-bed temperature profiles/stratification for packed-bed residential coal-burning devices.