[Stoves] Influence of fuel-bed temperatures on CO and condensed matter emissions from packed-bed residential coal combustion

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 20 08:55:28 CDT 2015

Crispin, Frank and all,

Interesting.   Some comments:
1.  You say
> investigated in a typical informal brazier/imbaula.
Please confirm:   Something like a bucket with holes in the bottom.   No
upper extension.   No attempt to have a TLUD-type concentrator or
directed horizontal entrance of the secondary air. Just light one at the
bottom (bottom burning only - BB) and the other at the top (meaning that
the pyrolytic front will be moving downward through the stack of fuel,
as migratory pyrolytic front MPF until it reaches the bottom.)

2.  So the fuel-bed temperatures were always measured in the bottom of
the BB unit, but were measured at the position of the MPF as the MPF
progressed downward.   Right?   If not, please describe.

3.  How did the experimenters control (make hotter or less hot) the fuel
bed temperatures?   That would be dome by delivery of more primary air
(O2 content) into the bottom of the imbuela units, right?   Used a
fan?   Or some primary air restricter or obstruction?   And what were
the temperatures (high and low) in both situation>

4.  How deep is the pile of coal fuel?

5.  Please describe the "secondary" burning.   Flames flickering on the
top?   tall, short, etc.

6.  And which way (BB or MPF)  is the common practice in South Africa?

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com