[Stoves] Testing to determine source of CO

alex english aenglish444 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 13:41:11 CDT 2015

Frank,
I have measured between the primary and secondary zones of a TLUD. CO and
CO2 were in the 8% to 11% range on a dry volume basis. Oxygen would be near
zero. At the same time the stack concentration can be; CO  near zero, CO2 ~
12%, Oxygen ~8%.

It is difficult to predict what would happen with CO injected at different
levels. A secondary burner may be operating near the edge of its
operational 'sweet spot' and any change will result in an increase in stack
CO. It could also be that it is operating with to much excess air,( excess
excess air if you will), and the added CO would be quickly oxidized,
reducing excess air  and increasing the hot mix temperature, resulting in
lower stack CO. In this scenario adding CO helps to better burn the CO that
is already present.

Alex