[Stoves] Designation of TLUD gasifier devices.

Ronald Hongsermeier rwhongser at web.de
Mon Sep 21 07:01:52 CDT 2015

Dear Paul,

I increasingly note a bit of tone in your posts that tends toward an
argument between elderly women regarding the proper way to pluck hens.

I offer the following points to clarify:

- a TLUD Gasifier is a device that is top of the pile lit with reduction
of primary air such that the pyrolysis front moves downward and the
uncombusted gases may be used for something else, perhaps after cleaning.

- a TLUD stove adds secondary and perhaps tertiary air into the rising
pyrolysis gases and provides technical means to insure that these gases
will be re-ignited. the chief use of a stove like this is likely cooking
or heating. a secondary use is possibly char extraction.

in the final equation the airflow at some point will be either upward
(if unaided or chimney aided) or extractive due to some technical
device, such as a combination of heat-exchanger and exhaust fan.

other comments follow ci:

On 21.09.2015 05:58, Paul Anderson wrote:
> Dear readers,
>
> All readers are advised that some people insist on using a valid
> GASIFIER term of TLUD when referring to other types of fires because
> there is ignition at the top of a fuel pile and the air flow is
> upward.   And they do this without regard to the GASIFIER structure
> that allows the creation of the gases to be separate in time and space
> from the burning (or other usage) of the created gases.   The creation
> and the burning of the gases can be very close, but they CAN be
> separated.   For example, the top flame (the secondary combustion) can
> be extinguished in a TLUD gasifier (but not in just any old bucket or
> open fire).
The observation in the last sentence doesn't seem very helpful to me.
The secondary flame should in most cases spontaneously reignite, if the
condition prohibiting ignition is removed. You can also release steam
into particular parts of an open flame fire and dowse to create a lot of
smoke, what's the real point?

> Paal Wendelbo observed the Norwegian resistance fighters having top
> lighting of open campfires, and they were not using gasifier
> devices.   40 years later he contained that pyrolysis and gas burning
> processes inside metal cylinders and had the start of what is today
> called TLUD gasifiers.

TLUD gasifier-STOVES

> Today, after 30 years of development of TLUD stoves and other true
> micro-gasifiers that now have respectable recognition, it is becoming
> trendy to call other things TLUDs when they are not or are mere
> shadows of what is involved with gasifier stoves.   There are no
> "terminology police" or copyrights on TLUD.   Readers need to be aware
> of the details of the actual operations, regardless of what it is
> being called.

no terminology police except for you. the horse may be running as fast
as he can, evaluate carefully before further flailing, verbal or otherwise.
watch out for unintended results.

> Readers are encouraged to use as a reference the book on
> Micro-gasification.... by Christa Roth (GIZ publisher) and my article
> "Micro-gasification Terminology...", both of which are available in
> the Quick Picks list on my website   www.drtlud.com
>
> I did not invent TLUD gasifiers, but I did give them that name 10
> years ago.   People can use the words top lit and up draft to describe
> other things, but the acronym TLUD should appropriately refer to a
> reasonably well defined TYPE OF GASIFIER DEVICE, most specifically as
> a cookstove or char-maker.  Use of that TLUD designation for other
> devices is a form of mimicry and getting on a bandwagon, or worse,
> which is just to make confusion.

In my probably not so humble opinion, I think your bandwagon is smaller
than you do. I enjoy your enthusiasm quite a bit, but the
pedan(try)(an)tics drive me a bit batty-- and it's such a sunshiny day!

regards,
Ronnie von Sunnybavaria