[Stoves] brush fires

Cookswell Jikos cookswelljikos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:18:36 CDT 2015

Hi [again] Kirk,

I happened to read your email on the stoves list as I was reading this
(short exscript below and link)

''Is it worth the challenge to find ways to utilize biomass? Yes, there are
millions of acres of federally managed forests (including shrublands)
containing millions of tons of excess forest fuels that need to be disposed
of in order to achieve our DFC or improve forest health. The easy way out
of this problem is to slash and burn the biomass, wasting perfectly good
energy and adding to smoke emissions to the atmosphere or, the biomass can
be turned into electricity or transportation fuels that will help the
country become less dependent of fossil fuels and foreign oil. It may be
worth the effort to meet the challenge.''

http://www.forestsandrangelands.gov/Woody_Biomass/documents/biomass_deskguide.pdf

So not only could it potentially be profitable, but maybe even the United
States Govt. will even subsidize it!
http://lacrossetribune.com/usda-announces-incentives-to-establish-biomass-crops/article_335f31a9-4dfb-5f1a-ba9d-45de7019f4e3.html

But the devil is of course in the details - the arguments on how to define
sustainably produced biomass are hot ;)
http://www.nature.com/news/policy-define-biomass-sustainability-1.18058

Kind regards and I hope these links are of interest,

Teddy

*Cookswell Jikos*
www.cookswell.co.ke
www.facebook.com/CookswellJikos
www.kenyacharcoal.blogspot.com
Mobile: +254 700 380 009
Mobile: +254 700 905 913
P.O. Box 1433, Nairobi 00606, Kenya

Save trees - think twice before printing.