[Stoves] Business sickness (Teddy Kinyanjui)

Cookswell Jikos cookswelljikos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 06:21:33 CDT 2016

Hi Crispin,

Very good points as always. I must say some of our leading charcoal kiln
customers in EA are people who say they have too many trees! I always laugh
with them and tell them how lucky are that that is their problem! Bush
encroachment especially in the rangelands is a growing issue for many in
the livestock industry and given that most of the livestock is bound to be
char-grilled anyway, making charcoal from encroacher bush is becoming more
and more of a goto land use option.

That said, according to Kenya Forest Service reports - more than half of
the charcoal in Kenya (KFS2013) is coming from privately owned farms.

(''Own farm............................................... 44%

Private land ............................................ 38%

Government or County Council land . 13%

Communal land ....................................... 5%'')

>From my travels around the country I would probably believe it, but I am
sure as always the devil is in the details. The cheapest way to ever clear
virgin land for farming in Kenya is through charcoal making, whether it's a
5,000 acre wheat farm or a 2 acre maize and beans plot, you will rarely
find farmers not recouping some type of subsidy in the form of free trees
for charcoal making when starting out. (Here is an excellent slide share
presentation from ICRAF aptly titled 'What Happened to the Charcoal
Crisis?' that I would highly recmommend reading/skimming thru
http://www.slideshare.net/agroforestry/miyuki-iiyamaicrafcharcoal-review2013
)

I do have a theoretical question for you and Nikhil on Govt. wood/stove
subsides....for the hundreds of thousands of tons of hard wood charcoal
that is exported to Europe and the Middle East from Sub-Saharan Africa for
summer BBQs there - to my knowledge none of those countries seem to have
energy efficiency programs focused on reducing charcoal consumption at
home? (c'mon France, Belgium, Lebanon, UAE etc). I can imagine many of them
have tax rebates for energy efficient kitchen equipment, why are charcoal
burning devices not included in this?

Best,

Teddy

*Cookswell Jikos*
www.cookswell.co.ke
www.facebook.com/CookswellJikos
www.kenyacharcoal.blogspot.com
Mobile: +254 700 380 009
Mobile: +254 700 905 913
P.O. Box 1433, Nairobi 00606, Kenya

Save trees - think twice before printing.