[Stoves] Advances in cooking science and economics

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 23:41:03 CDT 2016

Dear Nikhil,
this refers to fans for ventilating the kitchen. Some years ago our
Institute conducted tests on air quality in rural kitchens in Maharashtra
state.  In one particular village, most of the houses had a 10 cm gap
between the roof and  the walls of the kitchen. In these kitchens, the air
pollution level was always very low.  This is actually a very simple
solution to air pollution as well as heat in the kitchen, but the donor
agency, for which this study was being done, did not accept it, because
this solution was equivalent to having a chimney, which transfers the
pollution from inside the kitchen to the outside environment. Ceiling fans
and wall mounted fans are generally shunned by the housewives because the
air currents created by a fan disturb the flames in the stove.
Yours
A.D.Karve

***
Dr. A.D. Karve

Chairman, Samuchit Enviro Tech Pvt Ltd (www.samuchit.com)

Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)