[Stoves] report with dissapointing results from cleaner cookstoves

Roger Samson rogerenroute at yahoo.ca
Wed Dec 7 14:20:54 CST 2016

I read the study a little deeper. These were poor households found within a poor country
http://www.africanliberty.org/malawi-the-poorest-country-in-africa-whats-the-problem-peter-yakobe/

To me its likely the severity of the poverty was a much more important factor than indoor air pollution as a causal factor of pneumonia. I think there are many on this list and in the GACC management that dont appreciate how its weak immune systems associated with chronic malnutrition that is the primary cause of disease. About 1 in 6 in malawi are undernourished so you have to think in those poor households the numbers are likely 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 in the stud being malnourished.

Also malawi is quite dry, it might have been they do a lot of outdoor cooking and meals cooked indoors primarily in the rainy season. Can anyone comment on that? I remember reading a  report done in the Philippines and they used well ventilated bamboo hut kitchens and there was quite good air quality in the cooking areas.

The bottomline may be there is no quick fix to improving health of the poor by using an improved cookstove. That might just be wishful thinking on the part of GACC.  To improve health you need a comprehensive strategy that includes clean water and improved nutrition as the first entry points to improving health.

regards
Roger Samson