[Stoves] News: Feeding the poor to save their lives by modern cooking

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 04:43:40 CST 2016

[Default] On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 13:15:11 +0530,Nariphaltan
<nariphaltan at gmail.com> wrote:

>In early 1960s in Delhi there was a custom that in most of the localities a man used to run a
>Tandoor in the evening. People staying nearby would bring their dough and get their bread
>(Rotis) or nan cooked. He would charge 1 paisa per bread. It saved the housewife the
>botheration of cooking bread and saved her from heat in the summers. In those times most
>houses had coal and wood stoves and so the pollution and heat was unbearable. There were
>thousands of such tandoors all over Delhi.

A similar practice was prevalent in Britain many years ago, apparently
a household would prepare dough for 13 loaves and take them to a baker
to have the bread baked, the baker would retain one loaf as payment,
which points to there being a reason it was more economical to  run
his larger oven  than each individual household lighting a fire for
baking.

This is where the term baker's dozen came from but I don't no what era
it originated in.

AJH