[Stoves] report with dissapointing results from cleaner cookstoves (Crispin)

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sat Dec 10 11:43:40 CST 2016

Dear Kirk

I think it would be valuable for you to quote contradictions in Nikhil’s approach to this matter. We could then discuss them.

I am quite forgiving of his obvious scorn for the junk science that is relied upon for fundraising in the stove sector. I have tolerated Ron’s scorn for years. He should tolerate Nikhil’s.

Regarding the discussion of emission, exposure and stove performance ratings, I thank Nikhil for joining in the conversation. He is obviously very experienced in the energy field and has been involved as a stove list discussant and policy advisor longer than I have so I continue to learn from him.

I note that no one has offered even the slightest rebuttal to his claim that the GBD numbers are not and cannot be used as a basis for estimating how an individual’s health will be affected by changing a stove. Michael et al’s claim is that they can. That might even be worth a PhD.  But when the guy who created the system of producing the GBD numbers tells you it is completely faked, the challenge is a bit steep.

Nari and all,

The problem I have with Nikhil is not his contributions as much as with his scorn and derisions.  Also I find his writings to be sometimes reasonable and sometimes meandering, perhaps even confused.  The derision and confusion seem to accompany each other.  I would like to see his contributions but not his scornful attitude.  I wish he would put more effort into writing clearly and making his points without the scorn.  He does seem to contradict himself sometimes, as others have pointed out, and perhaps putting in the effort to write more clearly would help him to gather his thoughts more clearly as well.

I am looking forward to ETHOS, and have applied to make two presentations.  One on turn-down and the other on wood gas and air mixing in the Wonderwerk TLUD-ND.  There is just to much information for one presentation.

Respectfully,

Kirk H.