[Stoves] report with disappointing results from cleaner cookstoves

ajheggie at gmail.com ajheggie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 06:27:00 CST 2016

[Default] On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 21:53:35 +0000,Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

>They are not treated with DDT. They are treated with pyrethroids, which are natural and grown in Uganda, among other places. This is why I think that:

My point was I'd rather risk the long term effects of targeted
application of DDT than increase the risk of malaria, I'd happily use
a safer natural treatment were it effective and available.

In fact I am old enough to have witnessed and experienced blanket
fogging of DDT to reduce insect populations and presumably still
retain the chemical in my fat (unfortunately gnats and midges still
like to eat me).

>For stovers to argue that they provide more health benefit compared with nets or pneumonia inoculations they have to come up with provable claims.

I don't believe anyone is arguing that, we know cleaner stoves should
lead to better indoor air quality but the conjecture in this case is
that other factors are more significant in causing the respiratory
problems that they overwhelm any contribution cleaner stoves can make.
In no way does this detract from the need for cleaner stoves.

Andrew