[Stoves] report with disappointing results from cleaner cookstoves

Dr. Dieter Seifert doseifert at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 13 09:07:04 CST 2016

Dear Crispin,

in Africa a „billion dollar business“ with charcoal is established and
there it is _not_ easy to supply it sustainably with traditional
processes, even with improved charcoal stoves. The continent will lose
its trees in the next three decades if business as usual continues - in
many regions earlier, see e.g. New York Times article: Africa’s Charcoal
Economy Is Cooking. The Trees Are Paying”.

Even if new trees are planted for a tree, cut down for charcoal
production (traditionally 6 to 12 tons of wood for 1 ton of charcoal),
it will take about 20 to 50 years until the replacement will be
effective – if at all. You may find more information and proposals in
the internet e.g. on my paper “Traditional Charcoal in Africa and Need
for African Institutes ARTIS”.

Kind regards,
Dieter

Am 13.12.2016 um 14:21 schrieb Crispin Pemberton-Pigott:
> Dear Andrew
>
> I agree with you. Now, how do we substantiate our claims for having an impact? Being 'obvious' might be good enough for some.
>
> The benefit of saving fuel is pretty easy to demonstrate, provided the testing context is realistic and the calculation is done properly. The CDM funding is only available when the fuel supply is being cut 'unsustainably', as defined. There is no (official) interest in saving fuel in places with an excessive supply of it.
>
> So the question arises, what happens if efforts are made to increase the supply around Lusaka and the charcoal market is expanded? It would be easy to supply that sustainably, it just isn't being done. ‎Will that be rewarded or penalized?
>
> The Dutch government group DGIS used to have a great concept for selecting projects called 'access to modern energy'. If the stove was more 'modern', it was supported. That places the user and their perception front and centre, instead of an outsider pushing the agenda they happen to have funding for. Darfur is a good example. Some families ended up with half a dozen different 'improved stoves' or more.
>
> We need a discussion about needs and wants and what a desirable, holistic solution would look like.
>
> Regards
> Crispin
>

>> They are not treated with DDT. They are treated with pyrethroids, which are natural and grown in Uganda, among other places. This is why I think that:
> My point was I'd rather risk the long term effects of targeted
> application of DDT than increase the risk of malaria, I'd happily use
> a safer natural treatment were it effective and available.
>
> In fact I am old enough to have witnessed and experienced blanket
> fogging of DDT to reduce insect populations and presumably still
> retain the chemical in my fat (unfortunately gnats and midges still
> like to eat me).
>
>> For stovers to argue that they provide more health benefit compared with nets or pneumonia inoculations they have to come up with provable claims.
> I don't believe anyone is arguing that, we know cleaner stoves should
> lead to better indoor air quality but the conjecture in this case is
> that other factors are more significant in causing the respiratory
> problems that they overwhelm any contribution cleaner stoves can make.
> In no way does this detract from the need for cleaner stoves.
>
> Andrew

> for more Biomass Cooking Stoves, News and Information see our web site:

---