[Stoves] Savior stoves and Malawi (Re: Xavier, Tom Miles, Crispin, Andrew)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 12:00:45 CST 2016

Xavier:

I am not frustrated. I never intended to be a stove designer, though I wish
I had lots of money to support development of usable stoves in different
contexts ONCE the service standard and objectives of stove development were
determined.

I was inspired by your post back in June to start on this List again and I
believe one of my first post asked these questions - What is the service
standard, and what is the objective of (in that particular post) emission
control.

I still have not a single response on those questions. Except that Cecil
(and the World Bank) gave me at least the basic guidance to answering these
questions -- CONTEXT. I fully agree - the context of cooking and other uses
of combustion (bath/laundry water, commercial foods, space heating) and the
context of local resources, capacities, and relative costs is everything to
defining the service standard and the objective.

This is why I am dismissive of both "stove science" that presumes to be
context-free and the "stoves and health" pseudo-science (whether ISO/IWA,
WHO/BAMG, EPA/GACC) that is plainly context-free.

Cecil is kind enough to say all that is premature. I suppose he means that
all that jazz is putting the cart before the horse.

I am am a horse's ass, but I have seen the Horse's Mouth, so let me put it
bluntly -- all that is simply horse manure, killing by assumptions and
saving by assumptions, from WHO to HAPIt. Not worth a dime of attention,
but that is where millions of dollars go.

I also have a clearer definition at last of what is wrong with the "stoves
science" mania - be it Water Boiling Test or the lack of protocols, abuse
of data and methods, failure to understand the culture and history of fuels
and cooking, or the madness of chasing grants or giving grants: many people
have forgotten the context: cooking and cooks.

A stove is merely one of the tools in cooking. There is more to cooking
than a stove - at the very least, the fuel and the cook. And there is more
to a kitchen than cooking, more to a home than a kitchen (if one exists),
more to fuel use than home cooking, and more to fuel markets than household
and commercial markets for cooking and heating.

Generalized pronouncements about "stoves" -- I vacillate between calling
them inanity or insanity.

But that is where the blabber and blather - including mine, of course - has
been stuck for decades now. I know zilch about design of solid fuel stoves,
but I know something about cooking and something about money. What Tom
Miles calls "broad pronouncements and sweeping changes" is a pathology of
chasing grants, on the one hand, and the rush to disburse money that
happens every now and then.

GACC is not the first on the grant-giving side to fall in that trap; many
people have fallen in that trap - donors, government agencies for
forest/resource protection and/or for promotion of "improved stoves". I am
sure people on this List know; that Caravan piece Up in Smoke is a good
example.

And this time around (since roughly 1999), I see GACC was unfortunately
caught in its own rhetoric.

It is not even GACC rhetoric; it was handed down by the real powers with
purse strings - US Department of State and USEPA. These two are the primary
culprits behind the insanity, not the hapless GACC CEO who had the hopless
job of marketing lies generated by others. I feel sorry for GACC CEO, and
even the Queen of Chappaqua; she was fed lies.

*Tom: *

I no longer think "The focus on indoor air quality (IAQ) in 2000 led to
several benefits." On the contrary, I think IAQ research became a red
herring. I agree fully with Prof. Kirk Smith's view that cooking is to be
seen primarily as a health issue, not resource (forest) protection,
domestic content, GHG emissions, or via what I call the "fuel fetish"
(bioenergy as a "renewable energy", which begs definition and relevance).
All those were red herrings of the Stoves movement - I mean, on this List -
for years.

And IAQ became yet another red herring when it went the route of what
passes as "scientific research" - quantification of "health risks" in some
generic sense, independent of CONTEXT (sorry, I keep returning to that
word) and history.

Yes, it was in 2000 that Prof. Smith wrote the famous paper on non-CO2 GHG
emission rates from different fuel/stove combinations. (A friend asked me
to read it in 2001, but I had an attitude problem - I thought Prof. Smith
had said pretty much all the policy-relevant stuff by 1987. I read it in
2003 or so - "If one is going to put carbon in the atmosphere anyway, CO2
is the least harmful species from health of climate points of view. The
policy implications of this finding are profound." This jolted me, as also
another paper in 2000 by James Hansen and (Makiko?) Sato, which said,
"Considering the inertia in the energy system, we propose that the focus of
mitigation effort in the first half of the coming Century be on non-CO2
GHGs and black carbon." I am writing from memory; another friend drew my
attention to that paper in 2001 but I didn't get around to reading it till
2004.)

But what more needed to be said and to whom?

I remember the Shell Household Energy and Health online discussion in 2001.
I was excited that humans, not trees, were finally getting some attention.
But I was skeptical about both the direction and pace of "stove
development" and about quantifying the health impact of poor IAQ. Seemed to
me some lobbies were interested in research for the sake of research,
without stating the objective or differentiating across different types of
users, different regions, fuel chemistries, building characteristics,
demographics.

In other words, I saw that suddenly the stove promoters had found Holy
Grail -- not the Savior Stove but another ideology of stove development --
"Clean Cookstoves".

Unfortunately, stoves and health is an extremely complex issue with many
variables out of control for experiment design.

But the ideology of smoke epidemiology gets loads of money. CDC and NIH
seem to have found another gravy train for research.

I submit the epidemiologists are wasting time and money, but that's their
choice.

I think stove designers need to do the job of stove design - usable,
marketable stoves that make the cook (and other users) happy.

GACC is an expert in spreading lies -- that users don't know how smoke is
killing them, but will be persuaded when we come up with results of
regressions with statistically significant coefficients to the third
decimal point.

And GBD folks are spreading other lies - manufacturing deaths by assumption
(like CDC's claim that Hollywood movie ratings are the "cause" of death for
one million children.

Let me go out and make a strong, challengeable assertion: DESIGNING
EQUIPMENT FOR CLEAN COMBUSTION HAS LITTLE TO DO WITH THE SMOKE
EPIDEMIOLOGY.

There. As always, I would be happy to be proven wrong. As far as I am
concerned, it's a waste of time to read epidemiology papers. I happen to
know a little about regressions (statistical or psychological); my teacher
some 40 years ago said to me, "You learned it the right way - it is more
important to understand what not to do."

But people regress, and regress, and regress.

Nikhil