[Stoves] report with disappointing results from cleaner cookstoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Dec 14 12:04:59 CST 2016

Dear Xavier

I have to clarify something:

>So to summarize, you think there is nothing wrong with the study or its methodology. In that case you disagree with Nikhil who thinks this study is plain rubbish.
Nikhil says it is not suitable for generating policy. It is a Lancet-style study. It is not the type of information depth and quality needed to make policy. He has been involved in policy making at what I consider the highest levels. The study in Malawi is not what you need to create national or international policy.
>Then it seems to me we should be grateful to the study authors. We have to give credit when credit is due. This study gives some serious indications that improved cookstoves may not have a positive impact on pneumonia, that's a good progress.
Agreed, that is what it is in the sense that it doesn't show something. It does not prove there is no connection, just that it is was not detected in that case.
>Now, we need to know if improved cookstoves can have a positive impact on other diseases.
...or the same ones in a different setting.
When the indications are that a different set of solutions are needed, dispensing with those favoured so far, there are economic and career consequences for multiple parties. They may cling.