[Stoves] LPG Stove Webinar and Haiti stoves activities....(referred to in Re: Clarifications)

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 17 23:42:17 CST 2016

Ron and Stovers,

Ron's message below has his comments about my report on the LPG stove
webinar (but he used the Subject line of a different message, so I have
changed back to the LPG stove webinar Subject line.

I thank Ron for his thoughtful comments.

Ron asked specifically about the Canadian-funded initiative for
cookstoves in Haiti.  The basic info is from the GACC on 5 pages at:
https://cleancookstoves.org/binary-data/RESOURCE/file/000/000/476-1.pdf
That was written in about June 2016.

Of interest in that document are the following lines:
> In FAQ 2: ....The use of solid fuels also results in a range of
> climate-damaging emissions
> In FAQ 3.   ....thus the substitution of clean fuels is expected to
> result in a net climate benefit.  The application of robust stove
> standards and testing protocols is expected to shift the market to
> better cooking technologies and cleaner fuels. .....
> .... and will improve livelihoods through lower expenditures for solid
> fuel for cooking...

> In FAQ 4.  .... • Strengthen the supply of clean and efficient
> cookstoves and clean fuels by improving inclusive value chains...

> In FAQ 13.   Such an assessment may include the expected climate
> impacts or benefits from the use of particular fuels recommended under
> the initiative ;
Sounds sweet and neutral, but it is blackballing of solid fuels
(particularly wood) and the promotion of "clean fuels."  WE on the
SToves Listserv know that fuels are not dirty.  But the writers of the
FAQ page about Haiti evidently do not.   I suspect that the LPG
advocates have a heavy hand in these statements.   LPG is planning (as
announced on the LPG stove Webinar) a major push into Haiti.

Did someone read that the GACC is neutral about stove technology and
stove fuels????    I hope that the Canadians are real careful about what
they let others do with their money.

Also,
> In FAQ 7.    .... across our diverse partner base, including over 54
> national government partners,....
Really????   54????   Some influencial contacts in Haiti might question
that statement.
> Also in FAQ 7:   If your organization is activelyworking in Haiti and
> would like to stay informed of the Alliance’s efforts there, please
> ensure  that this is reflected in your partner profile in our online
> partner directory
We know of some (including myself) who have been listed for years as
GACC Partners working in Haiti who were not even informed of this new
initiative, and were left out of meetings in Haiti.  And whose requests
for minutes or drafts or other information about the past 6 months of
planning have yielded zero information.  (see next item)

> 10.WHAT IS THE TIMING FOR THE INITIATIVE?
> TheAlliance began work on the scoping and mapping activities in June
> 2016.The plan is expected to be completed by January2017.
It is now into the holiday season of Dec.   And the expected completion
is by January (next month).    Really???   Maybe the planners have all
the inputs that they think that they need.

This message is going to Stovers Listserv and also specifically to the
Haiti coordinator for the GACC activities in Haiti, and higher GACC
personnel.
*********************

Also:
Since June, the GACC released:
Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
Haiti Cookstoves and Fuels Market Assessment
Preliminary Report

I have a .pdf copy (4 MB), and cannot find the source document on the
Internet / GACC website.  If you and others cannot find it, please let
me know.   It is a very informative document, but I cannot give you the
link to it at this time.

(And do read Ron's comments below about the LPG stove webinar.)

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com