[Stoves] personal pollution monitors

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 10:46:03 CST 2016

On 23 December 2016 at 09:06, Frans Peeters <peetersfrans at telenet.be> wrote:
> Dear Andrew,

>  FOR THE AMATEUR :  An old CDROM DRIVE has the electro-optic components to
> start with !
> Laser and Se opto detector . Prisma lenses .
>     A laptop and scope program comes next.

Lovely idea Frans but beyond my capabilities

> A personal counter is like a Nuc dose  counter were the Si detector is
> changed to opto Si PIN diode .
> In a laser scatter set up .

That's precisely the analogy I was thinking of, in the 60s we had
dosimeters which were small electroscopes built like a biro pen, they
were charged each day and ionising radiation gradually discharged
them. They had a miniature microscope with a calibrated scale from
which the state of discharge could be read.

The same sort of thing that counted accumulated particles passing
through it would do the job.

Frank's method is probably a bit too arcane for an amateur to use.

Andrew