[Stoves] personal pollution monitors (Andrew)

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Dec 26 07:36:42 CST 2016

Dear Andrew

Was the ask content considered to be an important factor in the level of particles emitted, the total mass per ton burned?

When looking into what ambient air contains, the sources like power stations and fireplaces have very different profiles. In general:  Homes produce PIC's and power stations produce flyash. Ho‎mes produce PM related to the quality of the burn. Big burners produce things that are inherent in the fuel because the quality of the burn is very high and constantly adjusted.

You get my drift?‎ So if the ash was considered to be a major 'cause' of PM it is understandable, but is really a statement of something like, "Our burners produce a lot of flyash and rather than fixing them, let's limit the ash content of the fuel input."

My second question is, has the price of the small diameter material been depressed by the regulation? Can it be used as a domestic pellet? The PM might drop a lot by changing the airflow speed.

Thanks
Crispin

‎

On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 14:32:09 +0000,Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

>I was really asking if the gravity of the implications of making flippant claims about stove 'impact' are apparent and accepted.
>For ten years now, as confirmed by Dean Still, I have been raising a rukus about the multiple conceptual and mathematical errors still contained in the WBT.

Hold hard Crispin, we were discussing particulates.

It's not that I'm not interested in stove testing but rather I'm
disinterested, I don't move in those circles that get to decide these
things.

I do have a little anecdote about  wanting standards that favour
personal wishes: some 20 years ago  the prices of timber I harvested
were dropping in the face of a recent exposure to world trade. I
thought wood for heat and pellets were a way forward for our smaller
diameter trees.

The standard that was eventually set didn't suit my wishes as the
requirement for low ash  couldn't be met by smaller trees.

Little did I realise the standard did suit imports of pellets from
many thousands of miles away and we now burn  imports in far greater
quantities than can be grown in these islands in order to meet a
renewable energy target.

I suggest you change the subject to the specific bit of stoves testing
that you are concerned about.

Andrew